- Armed men storm palace in failed kidnap attempt
- Monarch reportedly resisted attackers
- Gunshots fired but failed to stop him
- Ruler later killed after being struck on the head
A traditional ruler in Ondo State has been killed following a violent attack on his palace after he reportedly resisted an attempted abduction by armed men on Wednesday evening.
Sources within the monarch’s family disclosed that more than 10 armed assailants stormed the palace in what appeared to be an attempt to kidnap the ruler.
ATTENTION: Click “HERE” to join our WhatsApp group and receive News updates directly on your WhatsApp!
According to the sources, the traditional ruler resisted the attackers, forcing them to abandon their initial plan. During the confrontation, the gunmen reportedly opened fire on him, but the bullets did not penetrate his body.
Despite the gunshots, the attackers allegedly struck the monarch on the head with a weapon, leaving him critically injured. He later died from the injuries sustained during the attack.
Confirming the incident, the monarch’s wife revealed that the assailants did not speak Yoruba and were believed to have entered the community through the Itaogbolu axis before carrying out the attack.
Reacting to the development, the Ondo State Police Command said six armed men stormed the monarch’s residence and forcefully took him away.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, said in a statement on Thursday:
“Information received at the Division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, indicated that approximately six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch, forcibly took him from his compound, and fled the scene.”
Jimoh added that the victim was later found a few metres away with gunshot wounds and was confirmed dead at the scene.
Following the incident, police authorities said a team of detectives and tactical operatives had been deployed to the area to strengthen security and track down the perpetrators.
“The Divisional Police Officer, alongside command tactical teams, immediately mobilised officers in collaboration with local security outfits, including Atuluse Security, local hunters and Amotekun, to comb surrounding bushes and adjoining areas in a bid to apprehend the attackers,” Jimoh said.
Investigations are ongoing, and the police assured residents that efforts are being intensified to bring those responsible to justice.
