Home Politics US Had No Part To Play In Raisi’s Crash — Defense Secretary
Politics

US Had No Part To Play In Raisi’s Crash — Defense Secretary

Share
US Had No Part To Play In Raisi’s Crash — Defense Secretary | Daily Report Nigeria
Share

The United States (US) on Monday offered condolences after the president of arch-enemy Iran died in a helicopter crash and said it saw no immediate security impact from Ebrahim Raisi’s death.

“The United States expresses its official condolences for the death of Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, Foreign Minister Amir-Abdollahian, and other members of their delegation in a helicopter crash in northwest Iran,” State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a statement.

“As Iran selects a new president, we reaffirm our support for the Iranian people and their struggle for human rights and fundamental freedoms,” he said.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin pre-emptively denied any US role in the crash and said there was no reason to think it was anything other than an accident.

“The United States had no part to play in that crash. That’s a fact, plain and simple,” he told reporters.

“It could be a number of things — mechanical failure, pilot error, you name it,” he said.

READ ALSO: FG Urges Restraint Between Israel, Iran Amid Escalating Tensions

“We continue to monitor the situation but we don’t have any insights into the cause of the accident,” he said.

Raisi, Amir-Abdollahian and seven others died when their helicopter went down in a foggy, remote area of northwestern Iran on Sunday.

Iran’s military ordered an investigation. Iran in the past has often blamed the United States and Israel for security issues, and just last month had its most open military clash ever with Israel.

Austin indicated that US forces have not changed their posture after the crash in the longtime adversary, where decisions are ultimately made by the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

“I don’t necessarily see any broader regional security impact,” Austin said.

The decision to offer condolences will likely meet criticism among hawkish critics of President Joe Biden’s foreign policy, although the State Department has routinely offered condolence statements for leaders from adversaries.

AFP

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Ighodalo Heads to Appeal Court as Tribunal Upholds Okpebholo's Victory | Daily Report Nigeria
Politics

Ighodalo Heads to Appeal Court as Tribunal Upholds Okpebholo’s Victory

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has upheld the election of...

Okpebholo and Ighodalo
Politics

Edo Election: Okpebholo Victorious as Tribunal Upholds Election, Discards PDP’s Petition

Okpebholo declared valid winner of the 2023 election by Abuja Tribunal. Tribunal...

2Baba, Fiancee Spotted AT Edo Governorship Election Petition | Daily Report Nigeria
Politics

2Baba, Fiancee Spotted AT Edo Governorship Election Petition

Veteran Nigerian musician, 2Baba and his new fiancee, Natasha Osawaru were spotted...

How 18 Edo LG chairmen squandered N83bn Federal allocation – Okpebholo
Politics

Edo Governorship Tribunal Dismisses AA’s Petition Against Okpebholo

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has dismissed a petition filed...