Tafa Balogun, a former Inspector-General General of Police (IGP), was announced dead on Thursday, August 4, 2022, in a private hospital in Lekki, Lagos State.
His demise was confirmed by family sources confirmed, saying he died around 8:30 pm the night.
However, the family didn’t go into details other than saying he died from a brief illness.
Here are 11 things to know about Tafa Balogun:
1. Tafa Balogun was born on August 8, 1947 at Ila-Orangun in Osun State.
2. He served as Principal Staff Officer (PSO) to a former Inspector-General of Police, Muhammadu Gambo.
3. Balogun was a member of the cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Course 3.
4. He served as Deputy Commission of Police in Edo State, and was the pioneer Commissioner of Police in Delta State. Tafa also served as a Commissioner of Police in Rivers and Abia states.
5. He was a member the National War College, the premier highest military institution in Nigeria.
6. Tafa Balogun was appointed Nigeria’s 21st Inspector-General of Police on March 6, 2002
7. Balogun was arraigned before the Federal High Court, Abuja for stealing and laundering over $100 million in three years as Inspector General of Police from the Police treasury om April 4, 2005.
8. During his trial process, the former IGP collapsed on his seat on June 29, 2005, at the Abuja High Court.
9. He pleaded guilty to eight of 56 count charges against him, was convicted and sentenced to six months for each of the charges, which ran concurrently.
10. Balogun was released on February 9, 2006 after serving his full sentence.
11. He died on August 4, 2022 after a brief illness.