INEC Speaks on Yakubu Mahmood’s Resignation

By Tapre Timine
3 Min Read

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said declared that Prof Mahmood Yakubu will not be resigning as chairman of the electoral umpire.

The clarification is coming on the heels of speculations consigning the INEC Chairman.

Reports had emerged f an alleged plot to remove the INEC Chairman before the 2023 elections.

The commission had earlier said that Mahmood was not under any form of pressure to resign before the 2023 general elections.

- Advertisement -

Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the INEC Chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi maintained that all the allegations read in the media were only rumours.

He said:

I am not aware of anyheightening pressure’ on the INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu to resign. As you are aware, the 2023 general election is about four months away and preparations for this all-important poll are ongoing. The INEC chairman is focused on delivering a free, fair, credible and inclusive General election. This is what is pre-occupying his mind at the moment.”

On allegations of dropping the
Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) in the 2023 elections the Secretary said:

“The Commission is not contemplating dropping the BVAS. It has come to stay. The BVAS will be used for all elections to be handled by INEC going forward, including the 2023 General election.”

The Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) also had raised an alarm over an alleged plot to remove Yakubu – a move suspected to impair the 2023 general election.

The coalition which made the allegation in a press conference last Wednesday in Abuja was said to be a majority of the opposition political parties in the country.

Also, the CUPP spokesperson, Ikenga Ugochinyere, who spoke on behalf of the opposition parties, held that the coalition had also discovered fresh plots to deactivate the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS).

This, according to him was a plan to ultimately stop the electronic transmission of results at the polls.

Ugochinyere, further insisted that the plot was made by
a top member of the ruling All Progressives Congress(APC) who’s from the South-East region of the party.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kidnap Catholic Priest in Anambra

Share this Article
Leave a comment