Man United Striker Greenwood Charged to Court For Rape

By Tapre Timine
3 Min Read

Manchester United striker, Mason Greenwood, on Monday, appeared at the England winger Manchester Magistrates’ Court over the attempted rape of a teenage student.

Moreso, the 21-year-old is appearing in court for controlling, coercive behaviour and assault on the victim.

However, the proceedings were adjourned until later on Monday morning by District Judge Mark Hadfield, where a decision on his bail arrangements will be decided.

On January 2022, the player was held over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.

- Advertisement -

He had been on bail since then but was arrested in the Trafford area on Saturday for an alleged breach of conditions.

Shortly after 4 pm on Saturday, the Crown Prosecution Service said it had authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Greenwood.

According to Daily Mail, Janet Potter, who is the deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for the CPS North-West, said;

The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

All three counts relate to the same complainant.

“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”

The attempted rape is alleged to have taken place in October 2021.

The controlling and coercive behaviour occurred between November 2018 and October this year, while the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm was dated December 2021.

Ms Potter again said:

The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice those proceedings.”

Following the allegations online at the beginning of the year, the player, who has made one appearance for England – was suspended from both playing and training with the Old Trafford club.

Nike also suspended and later canceled its sponsorship contract with Greenwood.

Electronic Arts further confirmed his removal from active squads on its FIFA ’22.

Share this Article
Leave a comment