Reno Omokri has once again indicated the ill-structured governance in Nigerian Pentecostal churches.
“Nigerian Pentecostal churches have a horrible internal governance structure that is a breeding ground for tyranny and dictatorship, or even worse, hero worshiping and personality cults.
There are very little mechanisms in their structures to call the founder, or overseer, or GO to order when he goes against church doctrine, his or her own previous pronouncements, or even Scripture.
But let an ordinary member try to imitate him or his family in such, and the hammer comes thundering down.
Let me give an example. I do not celebrate or even acknowledge Christmas. Nothing will make me associate myself with such an unscriptural and occult festival. However, I do not begrudge those who choose to participate in it. Doing so leads to arguments, because many people are emotionally tied to Christmas from childhood.
I grew up being a great admirer of pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi, because, like me, he considers Christmas ‘idolatry and unscriptural’. His exact words.
So, imagine my shock on December 14, 2021, when Pastor Kumuyi attended the Aso Rock Christmas Praise Concert, hosted by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, at the Banquet Hall, Presidential Villa, commemorating the Christmas season.
That is a clear violation of his own pronouncements and instruction to his congregation not to have anything to do with Christmas.
If there was a functional governance structure at the Deeper Christian Life Ministry, Pastor Kumuyi ought to have faced a panel, and should have stepped down from his position as General Superintendent for flouting the church’s rules.
But nothing happened to him, because he is the governance structure.
In Nigeria, our President and the 36 state Governors can be impeached. But a Pentecostal church founder and overseer cannot be impeached. He cannot even be rebuked or reprimanded. Therefore, his ‘absolute power corrupts absolutely.’
Sadly, many of such contraptions respect persons, when even Scripture tells us that ‘God is no respecter of persons:’-Acts 10:34.
I chased Buhari from a London hospital back to Nigeria, and Nigerians clapped for me. But if I chase Kumuyi from a Christmas concert, Nigerian Christians will stone me!
- ATM Withdrawals Limited to N20,000 Daily, Says CBN
- President Buhari Advices Nigerians to Vote any Candidates of thier Choice
- BREAKING: Nigerian Singer D’Banj Arrested by ICPC
- Comedian Brain Jotter Becomes Crypto Firm Brand Ambassador
- Buhari Leaves for Guinea-Bissau
- NCC Sends Warning to Nigeria TikTok Users
- Qatar 2022: “I am very happy with the profile of players that I have” Luis Enrique backs his players
- Qatar 2022: “Ronaldo was benched for tactical reasons” Portuguese coach , Fernando Santos
- Qatar 2022 “Very hard on us” Sergio Busquet rues Spain’s defeat
- Qatar 2022:Cristiano who ? Goncalo Ramos has arrived