No fewer than 100 people were killed and more than 150 injured when a fire broke out during a wedding ceremony at in northern Iraq.
The fire is reported to have started around 10:45 pm (19:45 GMT) on Tuesday.
According to Health authorities in Nineveh province 100 dead bodies were counted and more than 150 persons were injured during the fire incident.
In a statement, civil defense authorities reported the presence of prefabricated panels that were “highly flammable and contravened safety standards” inside the event hall where the blaze took place.
“The fire caused some parts of the ceiling to fall due to the use of highly flammable, low-cost construction materials,” the statement said.
“Preliminary information indicates that fireworks were used during a wedding, which triggered a fire in the hall.”
Safety standards in Iraq’s construction and transport sectors are often disregarded, and the country, whose infrastructure is in disrepair after decades of conflict, is regularly the scene of fatal fires and accidents.
See photos from the Iraqi wedding fire outbreak